Learn, grow, and be inspired with the Shelburne Farms Institute for Sustainable Schools. In each of our programs, you will:
- Cultivate a sense of joy and wonder for the world around us
- Learn strategies to connect you and your learners to social-ecological communities
- Build your content knowledge, gain access to resources, and deepen your teaching practice
- Tap into a network of support as you become an agent of change in a dynamic education system
Explore All Programs
Click on your area of interest to see offerings.
Project Seasons for Young Learners: Cultivating Joy & Wonder is an immersive week-long summer workshop that will inspire your early childhood curriculum with fresh ideas.
Then, take our introductory workshop, Foundations in Education for Sustainability.
All of our programs and resources have an integrated focus on climate change. These year-long programs have an emphasis on education to inspire climate action:
- The Climate Resiliency Fellowship, typically offered every other year
- A Forest for Every Classroom, designed to support Vermont K–12 educators in translating climate change, equity, and other sustainability concepts from the Land into your curriculum
- A Watershed for Every Classroom, for K–12 educators in the Lake Champlain Basin of Vermont, New York, and Quebec
Farm to school is a strategy for connecting classrooms, cafeterias, and communities to shape a better, more just future for youth and the planet. More about farm to school.
Form a team and join the Northeast Farm to School Institute.
Or, for states outside the northeast, apply for the Farm to School Institute Adaptation Program.
In Your Words
Shelburne Farms continuously helps me re-evaluate what high quality, place-based education can look like, while addressing so many current issues. I always leave inspired and with a broad set of resources to help me. Shelburne Farms' staff are also now providing a platform for us to share our program's story and build 'mycelium' with other educators doing this work.
Institute for Sustainable Schools
The Institute for Sustainable Schools was formed in 2021 as a home for professional learning, a culmination of fifty years of service to teachers and schools.